LOWER SCHOOL TEACHERS (GRADES K-5)
Susie King Taylor Community School (SKTCS) is a charter school seeking trailblazing educators to help students become curious,
leaders of their learning. We are searching for creative, collaborative, innovative teachers who will help build a school around a rich
culture of learning and community.
Seeking full-time teachers to begin November 2020:
Susie King Taylor Community School seeks to cultivate a vibrant, academically challenging learning community that celebrates each
individual's gifts and instills in students a sense of stewardship as members of the Savannah community and as citizens of the world.
Through experiential learning that emphasizes both quiet reflection and group collaboration, we empower students to critically
examine the world and activate their capacity for creating lasting positive change.
Our Core Values:
Transformative Teaching and Learning - Transformative relationships between teachers and students provide the environment
within which teachers challenge their students to hold themselves to high academic standards, to demonstrate mastery over their
learning, and to develop lifelong habits of scholarship and intellectual curiosity. All students will be supported in choosing and
designing some learning experiences. The result is a learner who understands both the content and process of learning.
Creating a Peaceful School Learning Environment - To act responsibly, peacefully and with personal integrity, students must know,
value, and respect themselves and others.
Unity in Diversity - We recognize that diversity in people, beliefs, and knowledge enriches learning through the exploration,
understanding, and appreciation of differences and the power of affirming common ground.
Responsibility to Others - Our shared fate and social responsibility leads us to practice good stewardship in all our daily actions and
Our Instructional Model
At SKTCS students are at the center of a dynamic and collaborative learning and discovery process. Students are encouraged to
explore topics from multiple perspectives and develop creative solutions to unsolved problems. Teachers are empowered to build
lasting and meaningful relationships with students and their families/guardians through small teacher-student ratios. Teachers will
draw on students’ passions and learning preferences and work with parents and our community to create a responsive education
that cultivates the whole child -- intellectually, socially, and emotionally.
SKTCS employs Place-Based Education, which immerses students in cross-disciplinary topics rooted in local heritage, cultures, landscapes, opportunities and experiences. Academic experiences will emphasize personalization of student learning through competency-based learning (also referred to a mastery or proficiency learning) and will bring the world into the classroom with field trips, mentorships, live and virtual guest speakers, and
more. SKTCS is committed to helping students discover their interests and strengths.
● Meet varied demands with integrity, enthusiasm, creativity, flexibility, and a sense of humor
● Participate in collaborative work with colleagues in the classroom and throughout the school
● Experience teaching lower school age children (5 to 10 year olds)
● Strong understanding of early childhood development
● Rich repertoire of teaching strategies to address a variety of learning styles and needs
● Understands how to use assessment of and for learning
● Proficiency with digital communication and ability to integrate technology effectively in the classroom
● Ability to foster positive relationships with and among students and parents
● An understanding of and strong affinity for the school’s mission and core values
● Ability to provide educational experiences that include diverse cultures and backgrounds
● Commitment to continuous professional learning, including understanding and application of current research and participation
in professional development opportunities
● Strong writing and communication skills
● Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, preferably in elementary or early childhood education
● Have already obtained or are in the process of obtaining certification related to the position for which you are applying
● Gifted certification strongly preferred
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com as well as apply at https://savannahccs.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx . Review of resumes will begin immediately, and qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. SKTCS reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time; candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as all materials can be compiled.
Teachers will be “at-will” contracted employees of Susie King Taylor Community School.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of Susie King Taylor Community School to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, citizen status, age, marital status, disability, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as provided by law), sexual orientation, gender (sex), and to maintain an environment free of discriminatory harassment, including sexual harassment, or retaliation as required by civil rights law.