MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE TEACHER
Position Start Date: July 2020
Susie King Taylor Community School (SKTCS) is a charter seeking trailblazing educators to help students become curious, leaders of their learning. We are searching for creative, collaborative, innovative teachers who will help build a school around a rich culture of learning and community.
Seeking full-time teacher to begin July 2020:
● Grade 6 & 7 Science teacher
Our teachers collaborate during planning and share students with one another. Each teacher is responsible for facilitating small groups, whole class learning experiences, and 1:1 conflict-resolution conferences. Our teachers plan and execute inquiry-based and placed-based lessons, include parents as partners in their child's education. Teachers also participate in school-wide committees as well as self-directed and school-wide staff development.
Our Instructional Model
At SKTCS students are at the center of a dynamic and collaborative learning and discovery process. Students are encouraged to explore topics from multiple perspectives and develop creative solutions to unsolved problems. Teachers are empowered to build lasting and meaningful relationships with students and their families/guardians through small teacher-student ratios. Teachers will draw on students’ passions and learning preferences and work with parents and our community to create a responsive education that cultivates the whole child -- intellectually, socially, and emotionally.
SKTCS employs Place-Based Education, which immerses students in cross-disciplinary topics rooted in local heritage, cultures, landscapes, opportunities and experiences. Academic experiences will emphasize personalization of student learning and bring the world into the classroom with field trips, mentorships, live and virtual guest speakers, and more. SKTCS is committed to helping students discover
their interests and strengths.
● Meet varied demands with integrity, enthusiasm, creativity, flexibility, and a sense of humor
● Participate in collaborative work with colleagues in the classroom and throughout the school
● Willingness to participate in shared leadership
● Ability to learn about and implement competency-based learning grading and feedback practices
● Experience teaching middle school age children (10 to 13-year-olds)
● Strong understanding of early childhood development
● A rich repertoire of teaching strategies to address a variety of learning styles and needs
● Understands how to use assessment and learning
● Proficiency with digital communication and ability to integrate technology effectively in the classroom
● Ability to foster positive relationships with and among students and parents
● An understanding of and a strong affinity for the school’s mission and core values
● Ability to provide educational experiences that include diverse cultures and backgrounds
● Commitment to continuous professional learning, including understanding and application of
current research and participation in professional development opportunities
● Strong writing and communication skills
● Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
● Have already obtained or are in the process of obtaining certification/licensure in Middle Grades
● Gifted certification strongly preferred
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to and apply at Review of resumes will begin immediately. SKTCS reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time; candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as all materials can be compiled. Questions about the position may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of Susie King Taylor Community School to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, citizen status, age, marital status, disability, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as provided by law), sexual orientation, gender (sex), and to maintain an environment free of discriminatory harassment, including sexual harassment, or retaliation as required by civil